Thursday, August 16, 2012

Song of the Week - August 16th - Relax My Beloved by Alex Clare

Hello everyone, it's Thursday so that means it's time for Song of the Week! This week, my pick is a little out there, but stick with me. My choice this week is...

Relax My Beloved by Alex Clare

I know a lot of you are like "HUH?!" but trust me on this one. You may not know Alex Clare by name, but I guarantee you've heard his hit single "Too Close," whether on the radio or on the Microsoft commercials for Internet Explorer 9. "And it feels like I am just too close to love you," that song. Well, I recently looked further into Alex Clare's music and his style is particularly interesting. He combines electronica and dubstep with soul and R&B music. The sound comes out pretty incredible and unlike anything you've heard before. This particular song, my pick of the week, is my favorite song on his debut album, The Lateness of the Hour. It's a slow jam, with the focus on the soul sound, but with a hint of dubstep, the song takes on a whole other level. It's not just a slow, ballad-like song anymore. It's suspenseful, it's thought provoking, it's incredible. It should also be noted that Clare writes all his own lyrics, and the lyrics here characterize the struggle of a relationship rocked by emotional distance: "Then maybe again we would weep like we've done a thousand times before/ Don't turn your back on me, or shout as you walk out the door." The song was so powerful that the Queen Bee herself, Beyonce, tried to get the rights to the song for her last album "4," but Clare said the song was too personal for him to give to another artist. But don't be too upset, he's working with the pop star on her next album. Give Relax My Beloved a listen and let me know what you think about this moody lullaby. Leave me feedback below in the comments section!

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment